Former GOP Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich sounds the warning for the Fall elections: My Plea to Republicans: It’s Time for Real Change to Avoid Real Disaster
- Two GOP Losses That Validate a National Pattern
- Congressional Republicans Can’t Take Comfort in McCain’s Poll Numbers
- The Anti-Obama, Anti-Wright, and Anti-Clinton GOP Model Has Been Tested — And It Failed
- Republicans Have Lost the Advantage on Every Single-Issue Poll
- House Republicans Should Call an Emergency, Members-Only Conference
- Nine Acts of Real Change That Could Restore the GOP Brand
1. Repeal the gas tax for the summer, and pay for the repeal by cutting domestic discretionary spending
2. Redirect the oil being put into the national petroleum reserve onto the open market.
3. Introduce a “more energy at lower cost with less environmental damage and greater national security bill” as a replacement for the Warner-Lieberman “tax and trade” bill
4. Establish an earmark moratorium for one year and pledge to uphold the presidential veto of bills with earmarks through the end of 2009
5. Overhaul the census and cut its budget radically
6. Implement a space-based, GPS-style air traffic control system
7. Declare English the official language of government
8. Protect the workers’ right to a secret ballot
9. Remind Americans that judges matter
Flap agrees with Newt on most issues but change has to come from the GOP leadership in a post-Bush world. GOP activists are demoralized and are losing voters because of theirlack of policy initiatives.
Certainly, Newt’s program for change is a start but the GOP must kick-start their asses into action or they will suffer catastrophic electoral losses in November.