Archive for January 27th, 2011
More Americans than forecast filed first-time claims for unemployment insurance payments last week, indicating it will take time for the labor market to mend.
Applications for jobless benefits increased by 51,000 to 454,000 in the week ended Jan. 22, Labor Department figures showed today. Economists forecast 405,000 claims, according to the median estimate in a Bloomberg News survey. The number of people on unemployment benefit rolls rose, while those collecting extended payments fell.
Not a good sign for "Winning the Future" as per President Obama
A week after Republicans announced plans to investigate waivers granted to organizations for healthcare reform provisions, President Obama’s health department made public new waivers for more than more than 500 groups.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is granting temporary waivers to organizations that would not be able to meet the reform law’s new requirement for annual coverage limits.
As of last week, HHS had granted waivers to 222 organizations covering 1.5 million individuals. Though the number of groups receiving waivers has now more than tripled, the number of individuals covered by the waivers increased just 600,000 to 2.1 million.
The law gives HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius the flexibility to grant waivers to avoid disruption in the insurance market, but Republicans say the waivers are either gifts to Democratic allies or proof that the reform law isn’t working. However, a large number of businesses, in addition to unions, have received waivers.
Comments Off on links for 2011-01-27
Common Cause Teleconference regarding the “Uncloak the Kochs” Protest, January 27, 2011
The teleconference wasn’t much because the “Uncloaking Kochs” protest isn’t very much.
You remember the information on the Saul Alinsky type street protest
which will protest the Koch brothers right to free speech and assembly this weekend in the Palm Springs area of California.
So, you ask, what is the big deal?
Guess who’s holding a super secret, ill-intentioned meeting this weekend in Palm Springs, California? The nefarious Koch brothers – nefarious because they donate to conservative causes, of course.
Already, leftist groups are beginning to fulminate (against what, it’s not quite clear), insisting that there’s something inherently corrupt in the free assembly of the Koch brothers and their cohorts.
Take today’s conference call on the subject, conducted by Common Cause, featuring such liberal luminaries as former Clinton Labor secretary Robert Reich, disgraced former Obama official and Center for American Progress scholar Van Jones and his colleague Lee Fang, and DeAnn McKewan, co-president of California Nurses Association (yeah, I hadn’t heard of her either).
Reich sounded the Koch alarm: “their ongoing biannual meetings epitomize the problems that our democracy are facing right now,” he told the participants on the conference call. These meetings, he said, are a “perfect storm for democracy,” because the Koch brothers are rich and can participate in politics, “and we have secrecy – it’s all in secret.”
So, the Koch brothers hold private assemblies, participate in politics, and are, therefore, a threat to our democracy. Got it?
OK, I get it. The Koch brothers have a lot of money, donate to conservative causes, think tanks and candidates (all within the law) and the FAR LEFT and BIG LABOR don’t like it.
Listen to the entire audio above and smile as to how stupid and ridiculous the LEFT can be. They REALLY are.
This weekend conference is NO different than countless others that are held every weekend and with folks who meet to represent their industry or political ideology within the American political process. I have been to plenty through my career for organized dentistry, for example.
If you even listen hard enough to the audio above, you will hear two of the speakers try to answer the question as to why this conference is any different than any other?
The answer: The Kochs have more money.
It is not any different, yet organized Labor will send its minions into the streets with idiotic signs to make asses out of themselves, protesting people in suits, listening to speakers talking about limited government. Real dangerous stuff here.
Who is Sponsoring the “Uncloaking the Kochs” Protest?
The LEFT ala Saul Alinsky Protest Koch Brothers Conference
1 Comment »
Well, it is not the official Presidential Library celebration but one for the Young American for Freedom
and it is up the road quite a bit from Simi Valley in Santa Barbara.
Young America’s Foundation announced today that Governor Sarah Palin will give the keynote address on February 4 at its Reagan 100 Opening Banquet at the Reagan Ranch Center in Santa Barbara, California, for the 100th anniversary celebration of President Reagan’s birthday. Governor Palin was Alaska’s youngest and first woman governor and the first female Vice Presidential candidate in the history of the GOP.
“I am very excited to have been selected to address Young America’s Foundation’s Reagan 100 dinner,” Governor Palin said. “Young America’s Foundation has been sharing the values of President Reagan with young people for more than 40 years, and there is no organization more committed to preserving freedom’s future.”
To commemorate the 100th anniversary of Ronald Reagan’s birth, Governor Palin will reflect on the seminal speech by President Reagan, “Time for Choosing,” that discussed the risks and rewards before an America at a crossroads in the early 1960’s. Governor Palin will draw parallels to today while calling for young people to continue the Reagan revolution into the future.
Vice President Dick Cheney will also headline the celebration weekend and deliver the keynote address at the closing Reagan 100 Dinner Banquet on Saturday, February 5 at the Reagan Ranch Center.
I wonder if Sarah will come down to the Reagan Presidential Library on Saturday night or the official centennial on Sunday?
Comments Off on President 2012: Sarah Palin to Headline Reagan 100 Celebration Opening Banquet
Offices of the Jyllands-Posten Newspaper which published the Muhammed Cartoons
A court in Denmark made the ruling today.
Three men suspected of plotting an attack on a Danish newspaper that published controversial caricatures of the Muslim prophet Mohammed in 2005 are to remain in custody, a court in Denmark ruled Thursday.
The suspects, aged 29, 30 and 44, are to be kept in isolation for a further four weeks, judges in Glostrup, near the Danish capital Copenhagen, ruled.
The three, who live in neighbouring Sweden, were arrested on December 29. At their initial court hearing they denied allegations they were planning to attack the offices of the Jyllands-Posten newspaper, but refused to make any further comment.
A 37-year-old man remains in custody in Sweden on suspicion of being part of the alleged plot, but he has rejected the charges.
Danish and Swedish police said they had cooperated closely in averting the possible attack and had been tracking the suspects for some time.
Muhammad Cartoon Danish Terror Plot Suspects Remanded into Custody
Muhammad Cartoons “Mumbai-Style” Terror Plot Foiled by Danish Intelligence
The Muhammad Cartoon Archive
1 Comment »