Protesters destroy an American flag pulled down from the U.S. embassy in Cairo September 11, 2012. Egyptian protesters scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy on Tuesday, tore down the American flag and burned it during a protest over what they said was a film being produced in the United States that insulted Prophet Mohammad. Reuters Photo
These are my links for September 12th through September 13th:
- U.S. embassies attacked in Yemen, Egypt after Libya envoy killed- Demonstrators attacked the U.S. embassies in Yemen and Egypt on Thursday in protest at a film they consider blasphemous to Islam and American warships headed to Libya after the death of the U.S. ambassador there in related violence earlier in the week.Hundreds of Yemeni demonstrators broke through the main gate of the heavily fortified compound in eastern Sanaa, shouting “We sacrifice ourselves for you, Messenger of God”. Earlier they smashed windows of security offices outside the embassy and burned cars.”We can see a fire inside the compound and security forces are firing in the air. The demonstrators are fleeing and then charging back,” one witness told Reuters. A security source said at least 15 people were wounded, some by bullets. An embassy spokesman said its personnel were reported to be safe.
In Egypt, protesters hurled stones at a police cordon around the U.S. embassy in central Cairo after climbing into the embassy and tearing down the American flag. The state news agency said 13 people were injured in violence which erupted on Wednesday night after protests on Tuesday.
Islamist gunmen staged a military-style assault on the U.S. consulate and a safe house refuge in Benghazi, eastern Libya on Tuesday. The U.S. ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans died in the assault, carried out with guns, mortars and grenades. Eight Libyans were injured.
U.S. President Barack Obama vowed to “bring to justice” those responsible and the U.S. military moved two navy destroyers towards the Libyan coast, in what a U.S. official said was a move to give the administration flexibility for any future action against Libyan targets.
- The End of the ‘New Beginning’ – Suddenly Obama’s foreign policy does look feckless- In his weekly address Saturday, President Obama observed yesterday’s anniversary of the 9/11 attacks and declared that “our country is stronger, safer and more respected in the world.” In our Friday column, after the president’s Democratic National Convention speech, we observed: “Conservatives tend to argue that the Obama foreign policy has been feckless and will lead to disaster. They may turn out to be right, but it’s no easier an argument to make than the Democratic economic case that Obama’s policies will produce prosperity real soon now.”After the events of Sept. 11, 2012, the argument is easier to make.At the U.S. Embassy in Cairo yesterday, what “appeared to be a genuinely spontaneous unarmed mob angered by an anti-Islam video said to have been produced in the United States,” according to the New York Times, gathered to protest. According to a timeline prepared by Slate’s Dave Weigel, the embassy responded by issuing an apologetic statement:
The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims–as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others.
The embassy reiterated the message in a series of tweets, some of which, TalkingPointsMemo.com reports, have since been deleted. The mob was not appeased. “Despite that overture,” as Weigel puts it–one might wonder if it was because of it–the mob stormed the embassy, an act “culminating in the raising of a black-and-white flag that resembles the icon of al-Qaida.”
Last week John Kerry said: “Ask Osama bin Laden if he is better off now than he was four years ago.” According to the Egyptian newspaper Al Ahram, the Cairo mob answered that taunt with the chant: “Obama, Obama there are still a billion Osamas.”
That’s no doubt a gross exaggeration, but there were enough “Osamas” to launch a fatal attack today on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. It killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. “It appeared the attackers in Benghazi were armed with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades,” the Times reports. “Intelligence reports are inconclusive at this point, officials said, but indications suggest the possibility that an organized group had either been waiting for an opportunity to exploit like the protests over the video or perhaps even generated the protests as a cover for their attack.”
- Liz Cheney: Cairo, Benghazi and Obama Foreign Policy- It has certainly been a terrible 48 hours. In Libya, violent extremists killed American diplomats. In Cairo, mobs breached the walls of the U.S. Embassy, ripped down the American flag and replaced it with the al Qaeda flag.In response to the attack in Cairo, diplomats there condemned not the attackers but those who “hurt the religious feelings of Muslims.” The president appeared in the Rose Garden less than 24 hours later to condemn the Libya assault and failed even to mention the attack in Egypt. The message sent to radicals throughout the region: If you assault an American embassy but don’t kill anyone, the U.S. president won’t complain.Though the administration’s performance in the crisis was appalling, it wasn’t surprising—it is the logical outcome of three-and-a-half years of Obama foreign policy.
In March 2009, at an Americas summit meeting in Mexico City, President Obama listened as Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega delivered a venomous diatribe against America. Mr. Obama stood to speak and accepted Mr. Ortega’s version of history. “I’m very grateful,” Mr. Obama said, “that President Ortega didn’t blame me for things that happened when I was three months old.”
In April 2009, in France, Mr. Obama proclaimed that America must make deep cuts in its nuclear arsenal because only then would the country have “the moral authority to say to Iran, don’t develop a nuclear weapon, to say to North Korea, don’t proliferate nuclear weapons.” Embracing the leftist fallacy that the key to world peace is for the U.S. to pre-emptively disarm, the president has reportedly begun reviewing options to take our nuclear stockpile to levels not seen since 1950. These are steps you take only if you believe that America—not her enemies—is the threat.
- Romney Offends the Pundits- Tuesday’s assaults on the U.S. Embassies in Benghazi and Cairo have injected foreign policy into the Presidential campaign, but suddenly the parsons of the press corps are offended by the debate. They’re upset that Mitt Romney had the gall to criticize the State Department for a statement that the White House itself disavowed.We’re referring to the statement issued Tuesday under the headline “U.S. Embassy Condemns Religious Incitement.” The statement came in response to Muslim protests against a 13-minute anti-Islamic video making the rounds on YouTube
- Four Americans are killed in Libya after U.S. apology for film- The Obama RecordObama Record: Four Americans are killed in Libya, our consulate burned and our Egyptian embassy stormed on the anniversary of 9/11 after we apologize for a film allegedly “insulting to Islam.” Arab Spring, Mr. President?Maybe President Obama shouldn’t have skipped all those national intelligence briefings. The burning of our Libyan consulate in Benghazi, the murder of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three others, including two U.S. Marines, and the storming of our embassy in Egypt after our diplomats apologized for a film made in the U.S. should show just who is the foreign policy novice in the 2012 presidential campaign.
The Obama administration is attempting to walk back the damage done by an apology issued by the U.S. Embassy in Cairo for a 14-minute trailer for a film called “The Innocence of Muslims” posted on YouTube, part of a two-hour, little-seen film produced by Sam Bacile, a 52-year-old California real estate developer who identifies himself as an Israeli Jew.
As the late, great Andrew Breitbart famously said in a tweet to someone who demanded he apologize for this or that, “Apologize for what? Should we apologize for the exercise of free speech in a democracy?”
Yet that is what the U.S. Embassy in Cairo did.
“The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims — as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions,” the statement read in part. It went on to say that the U.S. “firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others.”
- Obama Twisting in the Wind Like Carter- What a difference a day makes! Just 24 hours ago, the “informed” commentariat was telling us President Obama’s foreign policy was going to be a big plus for him in the election. In the wake of assaults on US diplomatic compounds in Cairo and Benghazi, and the State Department apology for our freedom of speech and basic values, Obama is starting to look a lot like Jimmy Carter twisting in the wind as Iranians held hostages in Tehran in 1979.All of this turmoil is the direct result of Obama’s backing of Muslim Brotherhood backed forces overthrowing Gaddafi in Libya and Mubarak in Egypt. Without American and NATO air power, Gaddafi would still be in power, a crazy to be sure, but a crazy who had given up his nuclear program, paid restitution to the victims of Pan Am 109, and who protected foreign diplomatic facilities.
- Obama to Israel: You’re On Your Own- Does President Obama want Israel to bomb Iran before the election? If we had more faith in this Administration’s competence, we’d be tempted to think so.Both publicly and behind the scenes, Administration officials have insisted they oppose a unilateral Israeli strike for many reasons: Diplomacy and sanctions still need time to work; an Israeli attack could destabilize the region; Israel doesn’t have the military means to do the job thoroughly; and so on.It’s no secret the Israelis don’t want to strike Iran either, provided the U.S. is serious about keeping a bomb out of the mullahs’ hands. But Israel’s confidence in Mr. Obama’s seriousness is fading fast. This week, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told Bloomberg Radio that “we’re not setting deadlines” for Iran to halt its program.
- Media and Democrats Try to Make Obama’s Foreign Policy Disaster About Mitt Romney- RUSH: So let me tell you what’s happening out there, folks. I’m gonna give you a timeline here in just a second. I’m gonna tell you things that you probably don’t know about what’s happening in the Middle East, and I’m gonna tell you why it’s happening and why idiots are wrong about why it’s happening. But what really is going on, is there is a coordinated effort by the media, in coordination with the White House, to turn this story… what is this about? I’m trying to be calm, cool, collected, reserved, professional. We’re in the midst of a disaster.This is a full-fledged foreign policy disaster from the moment the embassy in Cairo put that statement out yesterday, before any of this happened, it’s the most amazing thing. It is a pre-apology. I’ll read it to you in just a second. What they’re trying to do is make all of this about Romney. We’re in the midst of a genuine… second term of Jimmy Carter, anybody? 1979, anybody? We’re in the middle of an absolute disaster, a foreign policy disaster. And there’s a coordinated effort to make it about Romney and whether or not he should speak; whether he should say anything about it; whether or not it’s presidential for Romney. We’re only supposed to have one president at times like this. Well, we don’t have one, unless Romney speaks up, and that’s the sad reality.
- Girl Leaves Dental Dungeon With Mangled Teeth; 3 Charged With Child Abuse- Three people were charged with child abuse after a dentist operating out of a home left a 14-year-old girl with permanently disfigured teeth.And now the victim’s mother is speaking out, urging others to use licensed dentists and never trust anyone who is performing dentistry out of their home.“The message is that people have to be careful with what they do,” said Claribel Agramonte, the victim’s mother. She told CBS4?s Peter D’Oench, “I was just trying to help my daughter and look what happened.”
Miami police on Wednesday busted a couple and their daughter at a home-operated dental office at 1039 SW 11th Street in Little Havana, according to Miami police spokeswoman Officer Kenia Reyes.
Humberto Perez, 81; Maria Perez, 69; and Odalis Hernandez-Perez, 41, were arrested and were charged with performing dental services without a license and two charges of child abuse, said a statement from Officer Reyes. Maria Perez and Odalis Hernandez-Perez bonded out of jail late Wednesday night.
The child abuse charges came after the 14-year-old’s mother reported her daughter’s teeth were permanently disfigured following work at the clinic.
- Flap’s California Blog @ Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-09-13 – Flap’s California Blog – Flap’s California Blog @ Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-09-13
- Untitled (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2012/09/12/fox-news-poll-obama-tops-romney-in-post-convention-poll-most-say-country-still/) – RT @ByronYork New Fox poll, conducted Sept 9-11: Obama 48, Romney 43. Last poll, Aug 19-21: Obama 44, Romney 45. #tcot
- The American Media Beclowned Themselves Yesterday- Yesterday, as the American consulate in Libya was smoking and the rioters were returning in Egypt, the President of the United States flew off to Las Vegas for a fundraiser while his spokesman was telling the American press corps that yesterday wasn’t really a normal political day. Had it been George W. Bush, the media would, right now, be marching on the White House with pitch forks and torches. Remember, on 9/11, as events were unfolding in Washington, the American media was crying for President Bush to return to Washington. They wanted Daddy at home in the White House where he could tuck them in bed, damn the security issues of getting him there.I get that Chuck Todd is a former Democrat hill staffer. I get that the Politico is riddled with Democrats, some former activists and a former staffer for Debbie Wasserman Schultz. I get that Michael Scherer from Time magazine is a left wing reporter for Mother Jones and Salon.com turned respectable, “objective” journalist. I get that Ben Smith, leading up Buzz Feed, is a leftwing journalist paraded about as if he is some sort of objective reporter at a trendy site full of cat photos. What I really get is that the American media runs with a herd mentality, leans left, and yesterday collectively fell over their group think as they leaned so far left to focus on Mitt Romney and not President Obama. Yesterday, the American media beclowned itself in ways I didn’t really even think was possible, even knowing how in the tank for Barack Obama they are.
- House to approve stop gap budget | Jamie Dupree Washington Insider – RT @jamiedupree NO PRE-ELECTION SHUTDOWN FIGHT: House to vote today on 6 month stop gap budget plan #tcot
- Why voter belief in the gloomy New Normal may make Obama a winner- How can President Obama be winning? The job market has stagnated at severely depressed levels, and incomes have fallen throughout this “recovery.” If it really is a “It’s the economy, stupid,” kind of year, Mitt Romney should be ahead, right?But Romney isn’t ahead. And a big reason may be that Obama — 2008?s candidate of “hope and change” — is benefiting from a lack of hope among voters that positive change is possible. Some 60%-70% of Americans think the nation on the wrong track or headed in the wrong direction. And they seem skeptical either candidate can make things better. The status quo wins. And Obama is the status quo.Citigroup just came out with a report that reiterated its forecast of an Obama victory. Here is a bit of Citi’s analysis:
- @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-09-13 – Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog – @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-09-13 #tcot
- SurveyUSA Election Poll #19645 – RT @surveyusa Poll #19645 taken in California for All SurveyUSA clients in California: #tcot
- The Afternoon Flap: September 12, 2012 – Flap’s Blog – The Afternoon Flap: September 12, 2012 #tcot