The Sacramento Bee has picked up on Anthony York’s scoop on California Superinendent of Public Instruction’s Jack O’ Connell’s foray into 2010 Gubernatorial politics.
Reed Hastings, the founder and CEO of Netflix has deposited almost $ 1 million into an independent expenditure account to propel O’Connell into the Governor’s race in 2010.
O’Connell is termed out in 2010 after serving eight years as California’s school chief.
“Jack and Reed have a long history together,” said Mollie Culver, a political adviser to O’Connell. “A lot of Jack’s supporters have encouraged him to look at all of his options, including running for governor.”
Culver said fundraising is “always a major challenge, and it is very nice to have such friends encouraging him.”
The probable opposition:
- Jerry Brown – current California Attorney General, former Mayor of Oakland and former California Governor.
- Steve Westly – former California Controller who lost to Phil Angelides last year in the Democrat primary for Governor.
- Phil Angelides – former California Treasuerer and Democrat Party Chairman who lost to Arnold Schwarzengger last year in the general election.
- Gavin Newsom – current Mayor of San Francisco who admits to sleeping with his campaign managerâ€™s wife and carrying on a sordid affair.
- Antonio Villaraigosa – current Mayor of Los Angeles who admits to an affair with Mirthala Salinas, a Telemundo political reporter and who is in the middle of a divorce.
- John Garramendi – current Lt. Governor of California who many Democrat activists describe as yesterdayâ€™s news.
The $992,220 in stock from Hastings would have to be spent independently of any organized campaign to elect O’Connell governor. O’Connell presently has a little less than $1 million of cash on hand with no debt in his own campaign account.
Will this be a serious candidacy?
Yes, until Jerry Brown enters the race and dries up ALL of the union money.
Technorati Tags: Reed Hastings, Netflix, Jack Oâ€™Connell, Jerry Brown, Steve Westly, Phil Angelides, Gavin Newsom, Antonio Villaraigosa, John Garramendi