I can accept Romneyâ€™s conversion to a pro-life position but the main question is Romney SINCERE or POLITICALLY EXPEDIENT?
Most probably the latter. This makes him a LIAR and disqualifies him from the Presidency.
Today the Boston Globe has a piece that says nearly the same – there are problems with Romney’s honesty:
Politicians always listen for the beat of the constituency they seek to represent, and waltz to it as best they can. They routinely tap dance around tough issues. They cha-cha-cha, reversing course when necessary. But they don’t all do what Romney did on abortion rights. He engaged in a full-body tango with Massachusetts voters, doing everything he could to convince them he was pro-choice. He used his mother and another dead relative as props in a cold political calculation. But, this “pro-life Mormon,” to quote Murphy, was “faking it” big time.
That’s more than a mistake. That’s dishonest.
Let’s look AGAIN at the Romney Flip Flop Faking It positions on abortion:
- 1994: Mitt Romney was pro-choice:â€œI believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I have since the time that my mom took that position when she ran in 1970 as a US Senate candidate. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.â€ (Joan Vennochi, â€œRomneyâ€™s Revolving World,â€ The Boston Globe, 3/2/06)
- 2001: Mitt Romney was not pro-choice:â€œI do not wish to be labeled pro-choice.â€ (Mitt Romney, Letter to the Editor, The Salt Lake Tribune, 7/12/01)
- 2002: Mitt Romney was again pro-choice:â€œI respect and will protect a womanâ€™s right to choose. This choice is a deeply personal one â€¦ Women should be free to choose based on their own beliefs, not mine and not the governmentâ€™s.â€ (Stephanie Ebbert, â€œClarity Sought On Romneyâ€™s Abortion Stance,â€ The Boston Globe, 7/3/05)
- November 2004: Mitt Romney said he converted to the pro-life position.Romney said he changed his views after meeting with Harvard scientists on stem-cell research: â€˜It hit me very hard that we had so cheapened the value of human life in a Roe v. Wade environment that it was important to stand for the dignity of human life.â€™ (Karen Tumulty, â€œWhat Romney Believes,â€ Time, 5/21/07)
- May 2005: Mitt Romney reaffirmed that he was â€œabsolutely committedâ€ to support the pro-choice position.Six months after he claimed to have converted to the pro-life position, Romney stated: â€œI am absolutely committed to my promise to maintain the status quo with regards to laws relating to abortion and choice and so far Iâ€™ve been able to successfully do that and my personal philosophical views about this issue is not something that I think would do anything other than distract from what I think is a more critical agenda â€¦â€ (Mitt Romney, Remarks At Press Conference, 5/27/05)
- January 2007: Mitt Romney acknowledged he was â€œeffectively pro-choice.â€On January 29, 2007 during a visit to South Carolina, Romney stated: â€œOver the last multiple years, as you know, I have been effectively pro-choice.â€ (Bruce Smith, â€œRomney Campaigns in SC with Sen. DeMint,â€ The Associated Press, 1/29/07)
- February 2007: Mitt Romney stated that he â€œwas always for life.â€On another campaign stop in South Carolina, Romney stated: â€œI am firmly pro-lifeâ€¦ I was always for life.â€ (Jim Davenport, â€œRomney Affirms Opposition to Abortion,â€ The Associated Press, 2/9/2007)
Other Romney oddities and FLIPS:
Is Mitt Romney REALLY the one to trust with the Presidency?
Mitt Romney is WRONG FOR THE GOP AND WRONG FOR AMERICA.
Technorati Tags: Mitt Romney