Republican presidential hopeful former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani answers a question during a Republican presidential debate in Orlando, Fla., Sunday, Oct. 21, 2007, sponsored by FOX News.
Frank Luntz’s Florida Fox News Focus Group overwhelmingly picked Rudy Giuliani as tonight’s debate WINNER.
- Florida Voter: â€œ[Giuliani] is strong. Heâ€™s strong. Heâ€™s what we need. Heâ€™s got the track record â€¦â€
- Ask By Frank Luntz: â€œWhy Giuliani?â€ Florida Voter Said, â€œClear, concise, direct answers and heâ€™s a man whoâ€™s got a track record of execution.â€
- Pollster Frank Luntz on Fox News focus group reaction: â€œRudy Giuliani definitely benefited from tonightâ€™s debate. Very clearly.â€
Flap picks the Mayor as the CLEAR winner as well.
Giuliani’s answer on education and school children was classic Rudy. He cares more about the kids. Mentioning school choice and homeschooling received applause from the Florida audience.
Rudy was the pick of the vast majority of focus group members as the GOP candidate to BEST beat Hillary Clinton.
Huckabee received a few mentions. In fact, one focus group member switched from Thompson to Huckabee.
Ron Paul received no votes for who won the debate.
- Marc Abinder: After a tentative start, Giuliani again proved that he is so adept in these formats and can handle really any question with finesse. And he showed, again, that he is the Republican who best frames the race against Hillary Clinton. He’s a natural at it. Also: Giuliani should get some props from Ezra Klein: he accurately pointed out that Medicare is in much worse shape than Social Security and is a much more serious problem. At the end of the debate, he gave an answer on Iran that sounded reasonable and not Podhoretz-esque.
- David Brody: As for Rudy Giuliani, it was another strong debate performance. He really hasn’t had a weak performance to date. He had a sharp response when he criticized Fred Thompson on tort reform. It was vintage Giuliani. In your face. The Straight shooter. He just doesn’t come across as your typical politician. He’s breezy, funny, serious and intellectually engaging all at the same time. A rare combination. It’s like the Wild Wild West and Giuliani is the sheriff in town.
- The Orlando Sentinelâ€™s Scott Maxwell: Giuliani did well too. He sounds knowledgable as well. And, unlike the last time he came to Orlando, he sounded jazzed up and excited about the possibility of being president. And the audience seemed to be in Rudy’s corner. More than one person has told me he won them over this weekend.
- Power Line Blogâ€™s Scott Johnson: â€œRudy Giuliani undeniably shone.â€
- AmSpec Blogâ€™s Philip Klein: â€œHe gave a strong answer by saying he cares about teachers, but cares about the kids more.â€
Technorati Tags: Rudy Giuliani