Republican presidential hopeful, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, campaigns at the Wright Museum in Wolfeboro, N.H., Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2008.
The transcript of this major policy speech is here.
- So I think it wouldnâ€™t be unfair to describe us as the 9/11 Generation, because how we handle this is going to say something about us in history.
- Weâ€™re in the middle of a struggle that puts freedom versus fundamentalism, hope versus fear, democracy versus conflict. We didnâ€™t seek this conflict, we didnâ€™t start this conflict but we must finish it and we will win it. I guarantee you that we will win it.
- â€œOsama bin Laden must be caught and brought to justice. Al-Qaeda, Hezbollah, and Hamas have to feel increased pressure on every level. We have to make certain that we complete the job with al-Qaeda and with the Taliban.
- â€œSo, keeping America safe must be the first priority of the next American president.
Specific policies to win the War on Terror Against US:
- Expand America’s military – increase it by at least 10 new combat-ready brigades for the Army. And that should be done now. And then more increases are necessary, we should do the additional increases. The Air Force next generation bombers, fighters, and refueling tankers. The Marines have to be at least 200,000 and our Navy has to be at 300 ships or more.
- Double the number of our troops who are American led combat troops in Afghanistan. We need to bring a surge to Afghanistan and make it effective right now.
- Modernize and transform our military – a new hybrid military and civilian corps to help rebuild areas after the battles.
- Improve our intelligence capability and rebuild our human intelligence capability.
- Improve homeland security – proposed a TerrorStat program – to make sure that local and state authorities across the country are able to get the information that they need about suspicious incidents, about precursor crimes.
- Establish an international assembly for freedom from terrorism.
- Win the war of ideas – tie our foreign aid, where we can and where it should be tied, to countries helping us in the Terroristsâ€™ War Against Us
- More aggressive about ending illegal terrorist propaganda and we have to go after the money.
- Increase trade and cultural exchanges with countries in these areas of the world.
An effectively delivered and specific policy speech. But, was anyone listening?
Were voters more focused on the sandbox attacks of Romney vs Huckabee in Iowa than policy? And, on Chuck Norris?
This is the easy and casual media driven approach to choosing a President but the Mayor has laid the groundwork for the rest of his policy-based campaign: Tested Ready Now.
CNN reports that Mayor Rudy Giuliani is committed to doubling the number of troops in Afghanistan and beefing up America’s intelligence capability to keep us on offense in the Terrorists’ War on Us.