- Social networks and blogs continue to dominate Americans’ time online, now accounting for nearly a quarter of total time spent on the Internet
- At over 53 billion total minutes during May 2011, Americans spend more time on Facebook than they do on any other website
- Tumblr is an emerging player in social media, nearly tripling its audience from a year ago
- Nearly 40 percent of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone
- Internet users over the age of 55 are driving the growth of social networking through the Mobile Internet
- 70 percent of active online adult social networkers shop online, 12 percent more likely than the average adult Internet user
- Across a sample of 10 global markets, social networks and blogs are the top online destination in each country, accounting for the majority of time spent online and reaching at least 60 percent of active Internet users
More and more people that are my age are embracing social media, especially Facebook. Now, since most employers block social media sites during work hours from their company computers and with the advent of powerful Smart Phones, it makes sense that these more senior internet users are using their phones and the mobile internet.
The marketing opportunities will be many to these folks with a lot of disposable cash.