Ventura County Democrat Chair David Atkins and Rep. Julia Brownley D-Oak Park (From Facebook)
The Ventura County Democratic Party and namely its Chair, David Atkins have a twitter problem.
The chairman of the Ventura County, Calif., Democratic Central Committee celebrated the Fourth of July weekend by accusing Republicans of backing Nazis and discussing the size of conservative men’s genitals on Twitter.
“Do you have the freedom to get an abortion without coathanger induced sepsis? Thank a Democrat, vote out Reoublicans,” [sic] wrote David Atkins, tweeting from the handle @DavidOAtkins on July 4.
Atkins, an “online activist” who was elected to head the Ventura Democrats in 2012, spent the holiday marking America’s independence attacking Republicans as racists and backers of the Nazis during WWII.
“Do you have the freedom to vote without a poll tax or getting fire hosed because of your skin color? #ThankaDemocrat,” he tweeted.
And, here is a screenshot of some more of his tweets:
As a 63 year old white male, native Californian and thirty five year resident of Ventura County, California, I am deeply offended by David Atkins’ comments. The Ventura County Democratic Party should repudiate them and ask for Atkins’ resignation.
“I’ve met plenty of women who used to have conservative boyfriends. Ideology isn’t the only place they fell short,” he added.
Atkins is listed on the endorsements page for Rep. Julia Brownley (D., Calif.), who is running for reelection against Republican Jeff Gorell, an assemblyman from Camarillo.
Atkins’ tweets have been the subject of controversy before. As the Ventura County Democratic Central Committee’s vice chairman in 2011, Atkinstweeted that Republicans who testified at a Redistricting Commission hearing in Oxnard should “just put your white hoods on already.”
He was condemned for his remarks, but was not reprimanded by his fellow Democrats.
In response, Atkins said he “regrets the choice of words I used, but I will always stand up to defend the rights of minorities in Ventura County.”
My Representative to Congress, Democrat Julia Brownley, should disavow Atkins and send no more campaign funds to the Democratic County Party until Atkins is removed from the Chair.
Julia Brownley needs to send a message that such hate-filled speech is not welcome in Ventura County politics.
Ventura County Democratic Party E-mailCertainly looks like it.
The Conejo Valley Democratic Party sent out this missive earlier today.
So, the questions abound.
Do the Ventura County Democrats subscribe to the principles of Occupy Together’s Collective Statement?
As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.
As one people, united, we acknowledge the reality: that the future of the human race requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their neighbors; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.
- They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
- They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give Executives exorbitant bonuses.
- They have perpetuated inequality and discrimination in the workplace based on age, the color of one’s skin, sex, gender identity and sexual orientation.
- They have poisoned the food supply through negligence, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
- They have profited off of the torture, confinement, and cruel treatment of countless animals, and actively hide these practices.
- They have continuously sought to strip employees of the right to negotiate for better pay and safer working conditions.
- They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
- They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
- They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
- They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.
- They have sold our privacy as a commodity.
- They have used the military and police force to prevent freedom of the press.
- They have deliberately declined to recall faulty products endangering lives in pursuit of profit.
- They determine economic policy, despite the catastrophic failures their policies have produced and continue to produce.
- They have donated large sums of money to politicians, who are responsible for regulating them.
- They continue to block alternate forms of energy to keep us dependent on oil.
- They continue to block generic forms of medicine that could save people’s lives or provide relief in order to protect investments that have already turned a substantial profit.
- They have purposely covered up oil spills, accidents, faulty bookkeeping, and inactive ingredients in pursuit of profit.
- They purposefully keep people misinformed and fearful through their control of the media.
- They have accepted private contracts to murder prisoners even when presented with serious doubts about their guilt.
- They have perpetuated colonialism at home and abroad.
- They have participated in the torture and murder of innocent civilians overseas.
- They continue to create weapons of mass destruction in order to receive government contracts.*
To the people of the world, We, the New York City General Assembly occupying Wall Street in Liberty Square, urge you to assert your power.
Exercise your right to peaceably assemble; occupy public space; create a process to address the problems we face, and generate solutions accessible to everyone.
To all communities that take action and form groups in the spirit of direct democracy, we offer support, documentation, and all of the resources at our disposal.
Join us and make your voices heard!
So, who are they?
- President Obama?
- The Tea Party?
Or, are the Democrats just co-opting this movement to support their partisan agenda?
Inquiring minds would like to know, as the Democrats hit the bricks in a day or so.
This is just a set up from the Ventura County Democratic Party who astro-turfed this protest in their press releases. You see, the local Democrats know the California Citizen’s Redistricting Commission has gerrymandered Gallegly out of the current CA-24 Congressional district to the newly formed CA-36 which is less GOP friendly.
So, they go to the streets ala Saul Alinsky to paint Gallegly in the worst “intellectually dishonest” light that they can.
But, remember the American Debt Limit deal was a bipartisan affair and was supported by Democratic Senators Barbara Boxer AND Dianne Feinstein. President Obama signed the legislation yesterday.
+++++Content Warning – Adult Content Below+++++Screen Cap from the Ventura Demcoratic Party WebsiteDavid Atkins a blogger for the Ventura County, California Democratic Party posted an obscene insult to over 1,000 Ventura County national tax day tea party participants on their official party website.
Atkins who blogs at the Daily Kos as thereisnospoon has obviously thought that the typical obscene references at Kos are appropriate at the official Democratic Party site.
So, what is the FLAP?
Is it Atkin’s unhinged rant against the Tea Party protesters or his wild conspiracy theories as to the organization of the event?
No, Atkins is entitled to his opinions – as unhinged and unintelligent as they are.
Teabagging is a slang term for the act of a man placing his scrotum in the mouth or on or around the face (including the top of the head) of another person, often in a repeated in-and-out motion as in irrumatio. The practice vaguely resembles dipping a tea bag into a cup of tea.
Teabagging is also an erotic activity used within the context of BDSM and male dominance, with a dominant man teabagging his submissive partner, either a woman or a man, as one variation of facesitting and/or as a means of inflicting erotic humiliation.
This post is vulgar and disgusting.
Is this the photo of a Teabagger?How about this photo of GOP Camarillo, California City Council member Mike Morgan and veteran plus attorney Jeff Gorell?
The Ventura County, California Democratic Party should be ashamed of themselves and issue an apology for their vulgar reference on their website.