Albert Greenwood Brown, the next to die under California Death Penalty law
A state appeals court Monday removed one of the few remaining impediments to the resumption of executions in California, helping clear the way for the lethal injection of an inmate later this month.
“We are acting with the assumption that without any stay in place … that the execution will go forward,” said Chief Assistant Atty. Gen. Dane Gillette.
The state is scheduled to execute Albert Greenwood Brown, convicted of raping and murdering a 15-year-old girl in 1980, on Sept. 29. But a federal judge could still delay executions, and another inmate has challenged a new lethal injection protocol.
The state has not executed anyone in nearly five years.
A Sept. 29 execution date was set today for a man who raped and murdered a Riverside teenager nearly 30 years ago.
Albert Greenwood Brown’s death warrant was signed by Riverside Superior Court Judge Roger A. Luebs. His execution will take place at San Quentin State Prison.
“Justice has been delayed for 30 years since Susan Jordan was murdered,” Chief Assistant District Attorney William Mitchell said. “It’s time we moved forward with this.”
Brown’s attorney’s filed a request for an emergency stay, but it was denied Friday by the California Supreme Court, clearing the way for Luebs to set an execution date.
Brown grabbed 15-year-old Susan Jordan in October 1980, as she walked along Victoria Avenue on her way to Arlington High School in Riverside, and raped and murdered the teenager.
Brown then called the girl’s parents and told them they would never see their daughter alive again and could find her in a particular orange grove.
Brown had been paroled from state prison just four months earlier for the 1977 rape of a 14-year-old girl.
He was convicted of the older girl’s rape and murder in 1982 and sentenced to death.
Brown has been on death row for over 30 years and all of his appeals have been exhausted. He goes on September 29th – after 30 years of waiting.
But, alas there are the federal courts where lethal injection procedures are under view for possible Eight amendment violations. anyone want to bet whether this miscreant is executed on the 29th?
Deputy Attorney General Michael Quinn said Tuesday officials will soon seek to schedule the executions of five other inmates, including Michael Morales of Stockton. Morales was within hours of receiving a lethal injection for the rape and murder of a 17-year-old girl when U.S. District Court Judge Jeremy Fogel in 2006 halted his execution. Fogel ordered prison officials to revamp the state’s lethal injection procedures in response to Morales’ legal challenge alleging cruel and unusual punishment.
Since then, officials have constructed a new death chamber at San Quentin Prison and rewrote the execution procedures in 2007. Morales and another death row inmate, Mitchell Sims of Los Angeles, filed a separate lawsuit in Marin County in 2007 alleging the new procedures should be subjected to public comment and the state’s time-consuming regulatory adopting process. A judge agreed and barred executions until the state properly adopted the new lethal injection regulations.
On Sunday, prison officials said those new regulations took effect.
Well, let’s see what Federal Judge Jeremy Fogel has to say tomorrow. I wouldn’t hold my breath for any executuions in California – anytime soon.