These are my links for May 31st through June 1st:
- Job growth stumbles, boosting pressure on Fed- Job growth braked sharply in May and the unemployment rate rose for the first time since June, putting pressure on the Federal Reserve to ease monetary policy further to shore up the sputtering recovery.The Labor Department report on Friday, which showed employers added a paltry 69,000 jobs to their payrolls last month, the fewest since May last year, is also troubling news for President Barack Obama ahead of November’s elections.The unemployment rate rose to 8.2 percent from 8.1 percent partly because people flocked into the labor market.
Economists polled by Reuters had expected nonfarm payrolls to increase 150,000 and the jobless rate to hold steady at 8.1 percent.
While unseasonably warm weather, which brought forward hiring into the winter months, has been blamed for the step back in March and April, the latest report hinted at more fundamental weakness in the economy.
“Some had believed that we had decoupled from China slowing and all the problems in Europe, but that seems to be short-sighted,” said Malcolm Polley, president and chief investment officer of Stewart Capital Advisors in Indiana, Pennsylvania. “We’re slowing alongside the rest of the world.”
Employers added 49,000 fewer jobs than previously estimated in March and April. The report further eroded confidence, coming on the back of a raft of soft regional factory surveys and a worsening of the debt crisis in Europe.
- US economy added 69K jobs in May, fewest in a year- The U.S. economy suddenly looks a lot weaker.U.S. employers created only 69,000 jobs in May, the fewest in a year, and the unemployment rate ticked up.The dismal jobs data will fan fears that the economy is sputtering. It could also damage President Barack Obama’s re-election prospects. And it could lead the Federal Reserve to take further steps to help the economy.
The Labor Department also said Friday that the economy created far fewer jobs in the previous two months than first thought. It revised those figures down to show 49,000 fewer jobs created. The unemployment rate rose to 8.2 percent from 8.1 percent in April, the first increase in 11 months.
Dow Jones industrial average futures, which were already down 100 points before the report, fell an additional 100 points within minutes of its release.
- Terrible job numbers for May – Spring Slowdown- Only 69,000 jobs were added and the unemployment rate increased to 8.2 percent from 8.1 percent the previous month. Not only that, the gains from the previous two months were revised downward, by a net 49,000.It was the third straight month of weak job growth, and it’s sure to raise doubts about the slow-moving recovery.
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-06-01 – @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-06-01
- Health – Hans Villarica – Study: We’re Biased Against Obese People—Even If They Get Thin – The Atlantic – RT @TheAtlanticHLTH Obesity discrimination endures even after significant weight loss:
- Wisconsin Unions See Ranks Drop Ahead of Recall Vote- Public-employee unions in Wisconsin have experienced a dramatic drop in membership—by more than half for the second-biggest union—since a law championed by Republican Gov. Scott Walker sharply curtailed their ability to bargain over wages and working conditions.Now with Mr. Walker facing a recall vote Tuesday, voters will decide whether his policies in the centrist state should continue—or whether they have gone too far.The election could mark a pivot point for organized labor.
Mr. Walker’s ouster would derail the political career of a rising Republican star and send a warning to other elected officials who are battling unions.
- John Edwards acquitted on one count as jury deadlocks on five others and judge declares mistrial- Johnny Reid Edwards, a honey-voiced North Carolina lawyer who parlayed his boyish good looks and inspiring personal history as the son of a mill-worker into a meteoric political rise, was acquitted of one count Thursday in a corruption case, as the judge declared a mistrial on five other charges on which the jury was deadlocked.The mixed result in a trial that laid bare Edwards’s sexual indiscretions and serial deceptions came after nine days of jury deliberations.
- Romney supporters shout down Axelrod at Obama event in Boston – The Hill’s Video – Chant: where are the jobs? | Romney supporters shout down Axelrod at Obama event in Boston
- Mitt Romney Visits Solyndra Amid Attack on Obama Jobs Record – ABC News – Mitt Romney Visits Solyndra Amid Attack on Obama Jobs Record #tcot
- Twice as many adults using Twitter daily – latimes.com – RT @latimes: Daily Twitter use among adults doubles in the past year, survey finds
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » Gallup: May Unemployment Rate Drops to 8.0% – Gallup: May Unemployment Rate Drops to 8.0%
- Report: Obama Flies Special Barber To WH Every Two Weeks – Barack Obama – Fox Nation – Report: Obama Flies Special Barber To WH Every Two Weeks #tcot
- Sports / My Great Aunt Babe Didrikson winning the hurdles in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics – My Great Aunt Babe Didrikson winning the hurdles in the 1932 Los Angeles Olympics
- Destinations / Earthrise: A photo taken by astronaut William Anders during the Apollo 8 mission in 1968. – Earthrise: A photo taken by astronaut William Anders during the Apollo 8 mission in 1968.
- Political History / Showing defiance to the Nazis… – Showing defiance to the Nazis…
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » CA-26: Will Jess Herrera Play Spoiler to Democrat Julia Brownley? – CA-26: Will Jess Herrera Play Spoiler to Democrat Julia Brownley? #catcot #tcot
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » The Morning Flap: May 31, 2012 – The Morning Flap: May 31, 2012
- Flap’s Dentistry Blog: The Morning Drill: May 31, 2012 – The Morning Drill: May 31, 2012
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » Nanny State: NYC Bans “BIG” Soda – Nanny State: NYC Bans “BIG” Soda