Posts Tagged “Dewhurst”
Posted by Flap in Pinboard Links, The Morning Flap, tags: #tcot, Bush, Cruz, Dewhurst, Kimberlin, Obama, Pinboard Links, Poland, Texas, The Morning Flap
These are my links for May 29th through May 30th:
- Polish Premier Demands U.S. Response to Obama Death Camp Remark– Poland demanded a “strong and clear response” from the U.S. after President Barack Obama’s mention of a “Polish death camp” while honoring a Pole who told the world about the Holocaust.“We can’t accept such words in Poland, even if they are spoken by a leader of an allied country,” Prime Minister Donald Tusk told journalists in Warsaw today. “Saying Polish concentration camps is as if there was no German responsibility, no Hitler.”
Since, 2004 Poland has sought clarifications from several news outlets for the use of a phrase “Polish concentration camps” that were run by the Nazis during the country’s occupation in the World War II, according to the Foreign Ministry’s website. The government has convinced publications including the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times and the San Francisco Chronicle to stop using the phrase.
The U.S. administration regrets “this misstatement,” the Wall Street Journal’s website cited Tommy Vietor, the National Security Council spokesman, as saying. The text of Obama’s remarks on the White House website hasn’t been corrected as of today.
“The White House will apologize for this outrageous mistake,” Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski wrote on his Twitter Inc. account. “It’s a shame that such a momentous ceremony has been overshadowed by ignorance and incompetence.”
- Obama Nazi death camp gaffe ‘hurt all Poles’: PM– US President Barack Obama’s description of a Nazi German Holocaust site as a “Polish death camp” shocked Poland, whose leaders insist the record be set straight 67 years after World War II.Obama on Tuesday labeled the Nazi facility used to process Jews for extermination as a “Polish death camp.” The White House later said the president “misspoke” and expressed “regret”.
The linguistic faux pas overshadowed Obama’s posthumous award of the highest US civilian honor, the Presidential Medal of Freedom, to Jan Karski, a former Polish underground officer who provided early eyewitness accounts of Nazi Germany’s genocide of European Jews.
Poland’s Prime Minister Donald Tusk said Wednesday Obama’s words had hurt all Poles and he expected more from Washington than just “regret”.
“I am convinced that our American friends can today allow themselves a stronger reaction than a simple expression of regret from the White House spokesman — a reaction more inclined to eliminate once and for all these kinds of errors,” Tusk told reporters in Warsaw.
“Today, this is a problem for the reputation of the United States,” the prime minister said.
- Bush’s tax cuts didn’t get us in this mess– With the presidential campaign gathering steam, the voters are going to be fed a lot of baloney before Election Day. One of the biggest humdingers now coming your way: The Bush tax cuts are responsible for the mess the country is in.A recurring theme in President Barack Obama’s attacks on Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his tax policies is: “We can’t go back to the same policies that got us into this mess.”
President George W. Bush’s tax cuts did not cause the fiscal crisis of 2008. Our economic calamity came in a housing meltdown —the result of years of administrations of both parties encouraging variable-interest, no-interest, little or no down payment, and no-document or liar loans that flooded people into homes they couldn’t afford under traditional mortgage lending practices.
To its credit, the Bush administration twice advanced reforms to rein in Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, major players in pushing bad loans. Each time it was blocked by powerful Democrats, Rep. Barney Frank of Massachusetts and Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut. Frank famously said he wanted the two quasi-governmental agencies “to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidizing housing.” Even after the home-ownership explosion was starting to be revealed to be a house of cards, Dodd declared, “These two institutions are fundamentally, fundamentally strong
- Obama Awards Medal of Freedom to Democratic Socialists of America Chair– President Obama awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom on Tuesday to Dolores Huerta, an 82-year-old labor activist and co-founder of the United Farm Workers union.Huerta is also an honorary chair of the Democratic Socialists of America.
DSA describes itself as “the largest socialist organization in the United States, and the principal U.S. affiliate of the Socialist International.”
Huerta has claimed, “Republicans hate Latinos,” and has spoken fondly of Hugo Chavez’s despotic regime in Venezuela. Some of her more radical comments were captured in this audio clip:
- IBD At Kimberlin Hearing: Walker Handcuffed, 1st Amendment Muzzled– With all of the attention surrounding Brett Kimberlin, I attended Tuesday’s hearing in his “peace order” vs. Aaron Walker in the District Court of Maryland for Montgomery County. In the end, the judge granted Kimberlin’s peace order, and Walker ended up leaving in handcuffs. (If you want to know why Kimberlin is a story, go here.)This was the second peace order that Kimberlin has filed against Walker, demanding that Walker cease any contact with Kimberlin. In it, Kimberlin claims that Walker has “continually harassed” him with “alarming posts, tweets, alerts that arrive in my email box, which I consider threats to me personally and to my business.” Kimberlin came to court with pages upon pages of threatening emails and tweets that he claimed had resulted from Walker’s blog posts about him. None of them, though, were sent by Walker.
- President Obama Causes Outrage with Reference to ‘Polish Death Camp’– Poles and Polish-Americans expressed outrage today at President Obama’s reference earlier to “a Polish death camp” – as opposed to a Nazi death camp in German-occupied Poland.”The White House will apologize for this outrageous error,” Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski tweeted. Sikorski said that Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk “will make a statement in the morning. It’s a pity that this important ceremony was upstaged by ignorance and incompetence.”
The president had been trying to honor a famous Pole, awarding a Presidential Medal of Freedom to Jan Karski, a resistance fighter who sneaked behind enemy lines to bear witness to the atrocities being committed against Jews. President Obama referred to him being smuggled “into the Warsaw ghetto and a Polish death camp to see for himself.”
- Texas GOP Senate primary heads to runoff– A boiling primary battle in Texas headed to a runoff early Wednesday as two Republicans running for U.S. Senate failed to reach the 50% threshold to clinch the GOP nomination.Though Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst led the crowded field of candidates, he narrowly failed to cross the 50% mark required to secure the nomination and avoid a July 31 runoff.
Dewhurst’s challenger in the runoff will be tea party favorite Ted Cruz, a former solicitor general with strong support from national groups and high-profile conservative leaders.
With 99.6% of precincts counted, Dewhurst held 48% of the vote to 30% for Cruz.
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-30 – @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-30
- Magnitude 4.0 – CHANNEL ISLANDS REGION, CALIFORNIA – RT @BreakingNews: An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 4.0 has struck near Malibu – USGS
- California-Nevada Fault Maps – Yes, there was earthquake here felt in Thousand Oaks.
- Judge orders Manson Family tapes turned over to police
| Reuters – RT @Reuters: Judge orders Manson Family tapes turned over to police
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » CA-26 Linda Parks Moans About Democrat and Julia Brownley Attacks – CA-26 Linda Parks Moans About Democrat and Julia Brownley Attacks
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » New Evidence in Charles Manson Unsolved Murders? – New Evidence in Charles Manson Unsolved Murders?
- The PJ Tatler » If Donald Trump is a Problem, Why Isn’t Bill Maher? – RT @AmeliaChasse: Good question==> If Donald Trump is a Problem, Why Isn’t Bill Maher? #tcot
- Homes Prices Drop 2% to Post-Crisis Lows: Case-Shiller – US Business News – CNBC – Homes Prices Drop 2% to Post-Crisis Lows #tcot
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » The Morning Flap: May 29, 2012 – The Morning Flap: May 29, 2012
- Flap’s Dentistry Blog: The Morning Drill: May 29, 2012 – The Morning Drill: May 29, 2012
2 Comments »
Posted by Flap in Pinboard Links, The Morning Flap, tags: #catcot, #tcot, #teaparty, BrettKimberlin, Christie, Cruz, Dewhurst, Erickson, Huckabee, Kimberlin, McDonalds, Muhammed, Obama, Pinboard Links, RO12, Romney, Saudi, Swatting, Texas, The Morning Flap, Walker, Wisconsin
These are my links for May 25th through May 29th:
- In Texas, a rising conservative star takes on the establishment– Hoping to build on momentum from Richard Mourdock’s Tea Party-driven victory over Richard Lugar in the Indiana Senate primary earlier this month, the Tea Party is setting its sights on another possible win Tuesday, this time in Texas.In Tuesday’s Texas Republican Senate primary, Tea Party favorite Ted Cruz, a Cuban-American lawyer with strong conservative bona fides, is hoping to force a runoff against David Dewhurst, lieutenant governor to Rick Perry and the longtime establishment favorite. Former Dallas mayor and businessman Tom Leppert is currently running in third, while former NFL running back and ESPN announcer Craig James trails in fourth place. The four candidates are running for the seat being vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison.The winner will go head-to-head with the winner of Tuesday night’s Democratic primary. Paul Sadler, a former state representative, and Sean Hubbard, a first-time candidate, are vying for that spot. In the deeply red state, however, the Republican nominee is expected to prevail in November.
Recent polls show Dewhurst well ahead of Cruz, and the consistent front-runner in the race. But in order to avoid a run-off this July, he needs to earn at least 50 percent of the vote – a threshold he has yet to breach in recent surveys. If Cruz can maintain his second-place positioning and keep Dewhurst under the 50 percent mark, he could build on a recent surge in momentum and publicity.
- Texas Primary: What to Watch – Everything’s bigger in Texas, and today’s state and presidential primary is no exception.
Mitt Romney is expected to reach (and surpass) 1,144 delegates tonight–the magic delegate number needed to officially win the GOP nomination. With 155 delegates at-stake, Texas’s GOP primary is the largest delegate prize in the contest so far–the second largest overall. California will offer the most delegates on June 5.
Bigger than the delegate math however, is the Republican Senate primary, which is so far the most expensive Senate race in this election cycle. Some $25 million has been spent on behalf of the candidates seeking to fill the seat left open by Kay Bailey Hutchison’s retirement. Although the list of candidates on the ballot is long, the race is mostly considered to be contained to David Dewhurst, the state’s lieutenant governor, and Ted Cruz, the former solicitor general.
The Dewhurst/Cruz race has been largely framed as an establishment vs. Tea Party battle, with Dewhurst labeled as the establishment candidate, and Cruz appearing to claim the tea-party mantle. Cruz has received endorsements from national tea party figures like Sarah Palin and Jim DeMint, but Dewhurst has numerous conservative endorsements as well such as Rick Perry and Mike Huckabee.
- Why Obama’s Senior Strategists Think He’ll Beat Mitt Romney – David Plouffe sits in his White House office, just a few steps from the Oval, staring at an oversize map of these United States. It’s late afternoon on May 9, two hours after Barack Obama’s declaration that his evolution on gay marriage has reached its terminus. The president is down the hall and on the phone, discussing his decision’s theological implications with several prominent African-American pastors—while Plouffe is being queried about its political dimensions by a querulousCaucasian reporter. The map at which Plouffe is gazing isn’t the electoral kind with the states shaded blue and red; as a federal employee, he notes wryly, “I’m not permitted to have one on the wall.” But given the way his head is hardwired, I’m pretty sure Plouffe is seeing those colors regardless
- Christie’s Vice Presidential Skills– The most striking thing about the current Republican vice presidential field is its striking superiority to the Republican presidential field of six months ago. Former Gov. Jeb Bush, Sen. Marco Rubio, Gov. Chris Christie and Sen. Rob Portman are among the more accomplished, knowledgeable, ideologically balanced political figures in American politics. The same could not be said of Rick Perry, Herman Cain or Michele Bachmann.The untested, of course, are also unwounded. It is easier to appear qualified and dignified when you haven’t been stripped, prodded with sharp sticks and forced to perform tricks on dozens of debate stages.But there is more at work in this obvious stature gap. Part of the explanation is structural. Presidential candidates are largely self-selected, which favors ambition and self-regard above, well, all other traits. A vice presidential field results from a party’s consensus on talent and competence
- Backers See Huckabee Filling VP Niche– If Mitt Romney’s most pressing consideration in selecting a running mate is to find someone who can expand his appeal among independents or a critical demographic that remains up for grabs, several candidates would likely fit the bill better than Mike Huckabee.But if the former Massachusetts governor instead concludes that his right flank is not as secure as it needs to be, Huckabee may be among his best options.
- Scott Walker recall: Wisconsin governor keeps low profile before vote– With a slim lead in the polls and just a week to go until the June 5 recall election, Scott Walker isn’t taking any chances.The Wisconsin governor is running under the radar in an attempt to freeze the race where it stands and limit the chances of a momentum-shifting mistake.
- Saudis Demand Punishment for McDonald’s Toy They Say “Insults Muhammed”– Saudi Arabians are angry at a McDonald’s toy which they say mocks their prophet Muhammad. According to a report appearing today (5/27/12) on the Arabic news website, Kermalkom.com,the McDonald’s fast food restaurant “abused the Prophet Muhammad by placing his name at the base of a toy that is being distributed as part of the Happy Meal, a toy which steps on the name ‘Muhammad.'”The toy consists of a blue superhero figurine (apparently a Power Ranger Samurai; click here for pictures). It stands on one leg, and, when the lever is pressed, it pounds on the base with the other leg. According to the Saudis, the designs that appear all around the base, where the figurine stomps its foot, is really the name “Muhammad” written several times in circles.
- Somebody Tell Nina Totenberg Her Buddy Brett Kimberlin Is Making News Again –
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » Memorial Day 2012: They Did God’s Work – Memorial Day 2012: They Did God’s Work
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-28 – @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-28
- Untitled (http://getglue.com/Fullosseousflap/stickers/amc/the_killing_72_hours?s=ts&ref=Fullosseousflap) – I unlocked the The Killing: 72 Hours sticker on @GetGlue!
- Patterico’s Pontifications » BREAKING: Bogus Call Sends Police to Home of Kimberlin Critic Erick Erickson – RT @Patterico: BREAKING: Bogus call sends police to home of Brett Kimberlin critic Erick Erickson. #tcot
- SWATting the Ericksons | RedState– Last week we spent a lot of time writing about Brett Kimberlin and the incident involving blogger Patterico where someone spoofed his phone number and told 911 he had shot his wife.Tonight, my family was sitting around the kitchen table eating dinner when sheriffs deputies pulled up in the driveway.Someone called 911 from my address claiming there had been an accidental shooting.
It wasn’t nearly the trauma that Patterico suffered, but I guess the Erickson household is on somebody’s radar.
Luckily it was two sheriffs deputies who knew me and I had already, last week, advised the Sheriff’s Department to be on the look out for something like this.
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-27 – @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-27
- (500) https://foursquare.com/flap/checkin/4fc18aa7e4b07a4edd89d99b?s=gacXiPvZ_H4boM_zIzle2zNErEw&ref=tw – With Alice and rest of LA Roadrunners Run /Walk 5 (@ Golden Dragon)
- Gregory Flap @ Ronnie’s Diner – foursquare – At Ronnie’s Diner with Alice, Tara and Nancy. Way better than Morton’s Steakhouse who gave @LizMair grief!
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-26 – @Flap Twitter Updates for 2012-05-26
- Who Is Brett Kimberlin? Part 1
– YouTube – Video: Who Is Brett Kimberlin? Part 1 #BrettKimberlin #tcot
- PICKET: Sen. Hatch – ‘No surprise’ Kimberlin is harassing conservative bloggers-Utah GOP’er had ‘run-ins’ with Kimberlin before – Washington Times – Sen. Hatch – ‘No surprise’ Kimberlin is harassing conservative bloggers-Utah GOP’er had ‘run-ins’ with Kimberlin before
- Live Stream – Wisconsin Recall Debate: Walker Vs. Barrett – RT @BreitbartFeed: Live Stream – Wisconsin Recall Debate: Walker Vs. Barrett #tcot #TeaParty
- Everybody Blog About Brett Kimberlin Day: The Aaron Walker Chapter – Everybody Blog About Brett Kimberlin Day: The Aaron Walker Chapter #BrettKimberlin #tcot
- Flap’s Dentistry Blog: Federal Agents Arrest Two Dentists in Medicaid Fraud – Federal Agents Arrest Two Dentists in Medicaid Fraud
- Democratic Poll Also Shows Walker Ahead – Democratic Poll Also Shows Scott Walker in Wisconsin – Ahead 49-46% #tcot
- IMAO » Blog Archive » 10 Fun Facts About Brett Kimberlin – 10 Fun Facts About Brett Kimberlin #BrettKimberlin #tcot
- In U.S., Nearly Half Identify as Economically Conservative – In U.S., Nearly Half Identify as Economically Conservative, 38 percent say they are conservative on social issues #tcot
- N.Y. man admits to pouring bleach into children’s milk – CBS News – N.Y. man admits to pouring bleach into children’s milk
- State Department Introduces Arab Visitors to Convicted Bomber Brett Kimberlin – Come on now | State Department Introduces Arab Visitors to Convicted Bomber Brett Kimberlin #BrettKimberlin #tcot
- Obama stumbles out of the gate – Mike Allen and Jim VandeHei – POLITICO.com – Obama stumbles out of the gate #tcot
- Obama and His Pot-Smoking ‘Choom Gang’ – ABC News – Obama and His Pot-Smoking ‘Choom Gang’ #tcot
- RightOnline » Speakers – RT @AFPhq: JOIN @dloesch, @michellemalkin @secupp for this year’s @RightOnline! REGISTER today! #RO12 #tcot
- A User’s Guide To Smoking Pot With Barack Obama – A User’s Guide To Smoking Pot With Barack Obama #tcot
- Flapsblog Posts / Memorial Day…. – Memorial Day….
- Wilk is the one who’s qualified | www.simivalleyacorn.com | Simi Valley Acorn | www.simivalleyacorn.com | Simi Valley Acorn – Scott Wilk is the one who’s qualified in California Assembly Dsitrict 38 #catcot
- » A Brett Kimberlin situation “could happen to you” – Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion – A Brett Kimberlin situation “could happen to you” #BrettKimberlin #tcot
- Mitt Romney’s Moment – WSJ.com – Peggy Noonan: Mitt Romney’s Moment
- 405 project months behind, Carmageddon II delayed – LA Observed – California FWY 405 project months behind, Carmageddon II delayed
- Capitol Alert: CA Senate passes bill protecting bicyclists – CA Senate passes bill protecting bicyclists
- What Did Barbra Streisand Know… – What Did Barbra Streisand @BarbraStreisand Know…And When Did She Know It? Re: Brett Kimberlin #tcot #BrettKimberlin
- (403) https://www.capitalresearch.org/2012/05/nonprofit-of-terrorist-bomber-received-tides-foundation-funding/ – Nonprofit of terrorist bomber, Brett Kimberlin received Tides Foundation funding why? #BrettKimberlin
- Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog » The Afternoon Flap Featuring Brett Kimberlin: May 25, 2012 – The Afternoon Flap Featuring Brett Kimberlin: May 25, 2012
- Capitol Alert: CA Senate passes bill protecting social media passwords – CA Senate passes bill protecting social media passwords
2 Comments »