Presidential hopeful and former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee, second from left, plays with his band, Capital Offense as an Elvis Impersonator from Duncan Hunter’s campaign helps out with a rendition of Johnny-Be-Good at the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames, Iowa, Saturday, Aug 11, 2007.
- Mitt Romney 4516 votes (31.0%)
- Mike Huckabee 2587 votes (18.1%)
- Sam Brownback 2192 votes (15.3%)
- Tom Tancredo 1961 votes (13.7%)
- Ron Paul with 1305 votes (9.1%)
- Tommy Thompson 1,009 votes (7.3%)
- Fred Thompson 231 votes (1.6%)
- Rudy Giuliani 183 votes (1.3%)
- Duncan Hunter 174 votes (1.2%)
- John McCain 101 votes (0.7%)
- John Cox 41 votes (0.3%)
Mitt Romney won as expected after spending the big bucks; while the surprise of the night belonged to Mike Huckabee who didn’t spend and still received 18%.
Only 14, 000 plus voters turned out. This total is much less than in 2000 when 30.000 plus Republican Iowans voted in the straw poll.
Rumors abound that McCain and Giuliani had political operative folks suppressing Romney’s margin of victory numbers.
This is doubtful. But after spending all of that campaign cash, Romney has to blame someone for so-so numbers now doesn’t he?
Ace Crye dressed up as Elvis to show his support for Republican Presidential Candidate Duncan Hunter during the Iowa Straw Poll in Ames, Iowa, August 11, 2007.
Technorati Tags: Rudy Giuliani