The Morning Flap: February 25, 2013
These are my news headlines for February 22nd through February 25th:
- Four Hours Of Unfunny Seth MacFarlane; Unnecessary Michelle Obama; ‘Argo’ Wins Best Picture –
- Michelle Obama surprises Oscars by presenting Best Picture award – U.S. first lady Michelle Obama made a surprise and unprecedented appearance on Sunday’s Oscars telecast when she presented the award for Best Picture, the first time a president or first lady has ever presented an Academy Award.Appearing live on screen from the White House in Washington, almost 3,000 miles from the Oscars ceremony in Hollywood, Obama praised the work of the movie industry before announcing the Iran hostage drama “Argo” the Best Picture winner.
- Virginia’s Governor Bob McDonnell Thinks You’re an Idiot
- Charles Krauthammer vs. Mark Levin: Is embracing Obamacare honorable or dishonorable?
- Democrats and Republicans Miscalculate on Automatic Cuts – With Congress unlikely to stop deep automatic spending cuts that will strike hard at the military, the fiscal stalemate is highlighting a significant shift in the Republican Party: lawmakers most keenly dedicated to shrinking the size of government are now more dominant than the bloc committed foremost to a robust national defense, particularly in the House.
- Bloomberg’s ban prohibits 2-liter soda with your pizza and some nightclub mixers –
- GOP 2016: Governors vs. D.C. insiders – Forget the establishment versus the tea party, or social conservatives versus fiscal conservatives. Of all the tensions within the Republican Party, the dynamic that may loom largest for 2016 is this: Washington versus the rest of America.Here in the nation’s capital, GOP speculation about the next presidential race focuses on a handful of federal officials: Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.
- Crack in Obama sequester wall?
- Sen. Leahy: If Border Security Is A Must Before We Move Forward, That’s Not Going To Happen –
- Rules of the Game: Sequester Spells Bitter K Street Failure
- Gregory Flap @ Ronnie’s Diner – 20 miles of LA Marathon training run are finished. Now, the cheese burger at Ronnie’s! (@ Ronnie’s Diner) [pic]:
- Democrats lose Senate supermajority with resignation: Total Buzz Blog: Orange County Register – Democrats lose Senate supermajority with resignation
- Woodward: Obama and Lew Are Deal Breaking Liars – Flap’s Blog – Woodward: Obama and Lew Are Deal Breaking Liars #tcot
- Flap’s Blog @ Flap Twitter Daily Digest for 2013-02-22 – Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog – Flap’s Blog @ Flap Twitter Daily Digest for 2013-02-22 #tcot
- State Sen. Michael Rubio resigns to work for Chevron – latimes.com – Dems lose SUPER Majority RT @LATpoliticsCA: State Sen. Michael Rubio resigns to work for Chevron
- Excellent mtg w/ President Enrique Pena Nieto @EPN in #Mexico City – discussed all aspects of our imp’t relationship Photo – John McCain | Lockerz – John McCain all happy in Mexico after getting roughed up by Arizona taxpayers #tcot #Isthisguyforreal?
- Hijacking Immigration? – Since 1985, when Tanton, using his position at FAIR and U.S. Inc., created CIS, it has attempted to become the scholarly face of the immigration restrictionist establishment.162 CIS is supposed to “[b]uild the intellectual basis for immigration law reform”163 by supplying information to FAIR and other anti-immigration activists. The same environmentalist, abortion, and population-control ideology permeates CIS, its funders, and founders.Mark Krikorian, the current executive director of CIS, used to work for FAIR. When asked about the ties among CIS, population-control groups, and John Tanton, he stated:The center [CIS] has no views on population control, no views on China’s one child policy, or anything else. The guy you mentioned, John Tanton, he’s an eye doctor or retired doctor, he helped arrange our first grant, he’s a population guy, Malthusian in a lot of ways, has never been on our board, doesn’t know where our offices are, never told or had any hand in the opinions, development, or views of the research of the center in any way. I met him a couple times and he seems like an affable enough guy, but what do I know, and what do I care.164
Tanton’s own writings to donors and others contradict Krikorian’s statement. As noted earlier, Tanton told Cordelia Scaife in a letter that “For credibility this will need to be independent of FAIR, though the Center for Immigration Studies, as we’re calling it, is starting off as a project of FAIR.”165 CIS’s supposed independence from FAIR was a façade. Tanton was intimately involved with its founding and guided its positions from the start. As late as 1994, Tanton’s front group U.S. Inc continued to funnel money to CIS.166 Tanton arranged a lot more than a first grant for CIS—he created it, funded it, and provided its ideology.
- Carl Washington, a former assemblyman, to plead guilty to fraud – latimes.com – Carl Washington, a former assemblyman, to plead guilty to fraud
- LAO has ‘serious concerns’ with governor’s Prop. 98 calculation | EdSource Today – LAO has ‘serious concerns’ with governor’s Prop. 98 calculation
- The Sequester IS Obama’s Mess – Let Him Clean It Up – Flap’s Blog – FullosseousFlap’s Dental Blog – The Sequester IS Obama’s Mess – Let Him Clean It Up #tcot
- California faces rising bill for retiree healthcare – latimes.com – California faces rising bill for retiree healthcare
- Brown may forge alliance with GOP governors on health plan – latimes.com – Brown may forge alliance with GOP governors on health plan
- Byron York: Budget hawks question Pentagon’s doomsday scenarios | Mobile Washington Examiner – Byron York: Budget hawks question Pentagon’s doomsday scenarios | Mobile Washington Examiner #tcot
- Untitled (http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/22/5208616/california-voters-want-drivers.html#mi_rss=Top%20Stories?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) – Field Poll: California voters want driver’s licenses, other privileges for illegal immigrants
- Freer home sales market draws Californians to Texas | CalWatchDog – Freer home sales market draws Californians to Texas
- Garcetti and Greuel have spent $6.6 million and it’s pretty even – LA Observed – Garcetti and Greuel have spent $6.6 million and it’s pretty even
- McCain responds to ‘jerk’ comment at town hall meeting – One day after a confrontation at a town hall meeting in Sun Lakes, Senator John McCain held another town hall in Phoenix.
On Tuesday, an audience member of the town hall meeting fired off a string of heated questions about border security.
After attempting to answer some of the questions, Sen. McCain eventually quipped, “Occasionally I get a jerk like that guy.”
3TV asked McCain whether he regretted calling the man a jerk.
“Of course not. I call people jerks all the time, and they call me jerks. It’s supposed to be fun, loosen up,” Sen. McCain responded. “I’ve done town halls for years. They are vigorous and a little combative. That’s what it is supposed to be about. Loosen up.”
Before the floor was opened up to audience members for questions Wednesday, McCain outlined his plan for immigration reform, including a border fence and drones.
- The Morning Flap: February 22, 2013 – Flap’s Blog – The Morning Flap: February 22, 2013 #tcot
Day By Day April 23, 2012 – Sunlight is the Best PolicyBut, Chris…..despite their vacations and golf outings – they care….
Oh yeah, throw in some pandering, class/race warfare and running up massive amounts of government debt….
Day By Day October 4, 2011 – Cake
Day By Day by Chris MuirChris, why did the MSM not ask the President’s wife how much a loaf of bread cost? Or,a pound of Starbuck’s coffee?
Recall, the GOP Presidential candidates and their families are always asked these questions to see if they are out of touch with the common folk.
Day By Day September 15, 2011 – Pride
Day By Day by Chris MuirChris, just inflate the currency, but what about job creation?
The teleprompter won’t make the American unemployed any more proud.
Day By Day July 12, 2011 – TransfatsWith Michelle Obama it is all do what I say not do what I do. But, 1700 calories in one meal?
Update:We made a mistake in our original calculations. The calorie-count for the first lady’s order was actually 1,700, not the 1,556 we originally reported. Our apologies.
First lady Michelle Obama ordered a whopper of a meal at the newly opened Washington diner Shake Shack during lunch on Monday.
A Washington Post journalist on the scene confirmed the first lady, who’s made a cause out of child nutrition, ordered a ShackBurger, fries, chocolate shake and a Diet Coke while the street and sidewalk in front of the usually-packed Shake Shack were closed by security during her visit.
According to nutritional information on Shake Shack’s Web site, the meal amounted to 1,700 calories.
Obama, who launched the “Let’s Move” campaign to combat childhood obesity last year, has previously admitted to having an “obsession with french fries,” which she says are fine to indulge in occasionally. “It’s all about moderation,” Obama told reporters.
And, what kind of moderation is that?
When the Nanny State starts to take over the hypocrisy rises to the top.
The Day By Day Archive
Day By Day May 15, 2011 – Tourist GuideWonder if Michelle Obama is proud of her country now?
Previous:The Day by Day Archive
Obamacare: Michelle Obama Says Women are Crushed by Health Care SystemYes, Michelle Obama said it – oh yes she did.
First lady Michelle Obama sought support for the administrationâ€™s health-care plans from family advocacy groups and health-care professionals, saying the treatment of women under the current system is â€œunacceptable.â€
As President Barack Obama campaigns to generate backing from voters for his health-care overhaul proposal, the first lady joined the effort today with a more focused pitch.
Michelle Obama said women are being â€œcrushed by the current structure of our health careâ€ because they often are responsible for taking care of family illnesses, arranging checkups and monitoring follow-up care.
â€œWomen are the ones to do it,â€ she said to an audience of 140 people, including representatives from groups such as the Womenâ€™s Chamber of Commerce and the National Council of Negro Women. â€œMothers are the ones that do it. And many women find themselves doing the same thing for their spouses.â€
Women also are more disproportionately affected by the lack of insurance options because they are more likely to work part-time or at small businesses that donâ€™t provide coverage.
â€œItâ€™s not surprising that so many millions of women are simply going without insurance at all,â€ Obama said.
Flap asked Mrs. Flap if she felt crushed by the health care system? Having had a pap smear today at her private gynecologist, she uttered a brief response: No.
Interesting that Mrs. Flap’s cadillac insurance plan which she receives from her employer will be more heavily taxed to provide “FREE” care for illegal aliens and people that don’t or won’t work. For that, Mrs. Flap feels “CRUSHED.”
Technorati Tags: Michelle Obama, Obamacare
Photo of the Evening: President Barack Obama and Michelle Dance at Inaugural BallsPresident Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama dance at the Commander in Chief Inaugural Ball at the National Building Museum in Washington, Tuesday, Jan. 20, 2009
Michelle Obama, Barack Obama and William AyersBeyond the speeches, how much do you really know about Barack Obama? Learn about his connection to William Ayers.
The connection between Michelle Obama, Barack Obama and radical left-wing bomber William Ayers is not getting much play in the MSM, is it?
Children who kill are called “super predators,” “people with no conscience,” “feral pre-social beings” — and “adults.”
William Ayers, author of A Kind and Just Parent: The Children of Juvenile Court (Beacon Press, 1997), says “We should call a child a child. A 13-year-old who picks up a gun isn’t suddenly an adult. We have to ask other questions: How did he get the gun? Where did it come from?”
Ayers, who spent a year observing the Cook County Temporary Juvenile Detention Center in Chicago, is one of four panelists who will speak on juvenile justice at 6 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 20, in the C-Shop. The panel, which marks the 100th anniversary of the juvenile justice system in the United States, is part of the Community Service Center’s monthly discussion series on issues affecting the city of Chicago. The event is free and open to the public.
Ayers will be joined by Sen. Barack Obama, Senior Lecturer in the Law School, who is working to combat legislation that would put more juvenile offenders into the adult system; Randolph Stone, Director of the Mandel Legal Aid Clinic; Alex Correa, a reformed juvenile offender who spent seven years in Cook County Temporary Detention Center; Frank Tobin, a former priest and teacher at the Detention Center who helped Correa; and Willy Baldwin, who grew up in public housing and is currently a teacher at the Detention Center.
The juvenile justice system was founded by Chicago reformer Jane Addams, who advocated the establishment of a separate court system for children which would act like a “kind and just parent” for children in crisis.
One hundred years later, the system is “overcrowded, under-funded, over-centralized and racist,” Ayers said.
Michelle Obama, Associate Dean of Student Services and Director of the University Community Service Center, hopes bringing issues like this to campus will open a dialogue between members of the University community and the broader community.
“Students and faculty explore these issues in the classroom, but it is an internal conversation,” Obama said. “We know that issues like juvenile justice impact the city of Chicago, this nation and — directly or indirectly — this campus. This panel gives students a chance to hear about the juvenile justice system not only on a theoretical level, but from the people who have experienced it.”
Chicago Mayor Richard M.Daily puts the association this way: “THEY’RE FRIENDS. SO WHAT?
With the way Obama has been backpeddling over the weekend it is as if Obama barely knew him.
Listen to Obama Chief Strategist, David Axelrod this morning – Ignorance is bliss, no?
Now, who is lying, Barack?
Team Obama is getting defensive and their defense certainly looks WEAK.
Barack Obama and William Ayers – â€œTheyâ€™re Friends. So What?â€ The AIP Video
Technorati Tags: William Ayers, Barack Obama, Michelle Obama
Updated With Video: Michelle Obama – Don’t Vote Because “She’s Cute”+++++Update and Bumped+++++
Michelle Obama: Don’t Vote For McCain Because Palin Is Cute
Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic Presidential candidate, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., right, listens to Mary Henley during a forum in Richmond, Va., Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2008In a thinly disguised SEXIST attack on Sarah Palin, Michelle Obama asked voters today to make their choice on the issues, not because, “I like that guy” or, “she’s cute.”
Might she be talking about Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin?
“I’m talking about me,” she said with a smile.
Barack Obama’s wife, however, is not on the ticket in the presidential election. Palin is.
Her remarks came at a women’s round-table on the economy as Democrats work to neutralize the appeal that Palin has brought to John McCain’s ticket for some female voters. They are doing so gingerly, so as to not appear sexist or invite another lipstick-on-a-pig tempest.
Michelle Obama told the audience her husband is only candidate focused on equal pay, health care, affordable college, teacher recruitment and other issues of concern to women. She said that’s what the election should be about.
“People shouldn’t make a decision this time based on, ‘I like that guy’ or ‘she’s cute,'” she said.
The line won a big round of applause. Before it subsided, she interjected: “And I’m talking about me.”
So, now Team Obama has unleased the wife of “The One” to attack Sarah Palin. First, it was “Lipstick on a Pig” and now “She’s Cute.”
Anyone see a pattern? Remember Sarah Palin’s primary qualification is “She hasn’t had an abortion?” Allah’s (Via MM) keeping track of the Obamas’ smears on Palin.
Flap guesses Hillary wouldn’t do their dirty work so they went to someone who would regurgitate verbatim their bile.
Now, will there be any feminist outrage?
Technorati Tags: Michelle Obama, Sarah Palin